Several 2010 Durham Bulls and likely Bulls-to-be are playing winter ball out in Arizona and down in Mexico and Venezuela. For a daily fix, check out Jim Donten's updates over on Rays Prospects.
For readers who want to chase things down on their own, here are a couple of leads:
For players who are in the Rays system, check out the links put up by MLB.
Players of interest to WDBB include:
- Leslie Anderson (on the 40-man);
- Jose Ruiz, a first baseman we did not see last year, but he is on the Rays 40-man and has a good rep;
- Henry Wrigley, an infielder who was with the Biscuits last year (and may still be with them next year), but considered one of the Rays top prospects;
- Alex Cobb, the pitcher we saw at the end of the year and who we are all hoping we get to see a lot of next year.
Playing in the Mexican Pacific League
- For the Venados de Mazatlan: Elliot Johnson.
- For the Yaquis de Obregon: Justin Ruggiano (on Rays 40-man).
- For the Tomateros de Culiacan: Angel Chavez.
Playing in the Venezuelan Winter League
For some insights into the life, check out the Life of a Baseball Wife blog, which is telling stories about life in Mexico.
We are a bit skeptical that any of the players outside of the Arizona Fall League guys will be coming back to Durham next year, and that would include Jon Weber, who is apparently trying to get his career back on track.
Nevertheless, worth keeping an eye on them. I mean, what else have we got to do? As Rogers Hornsby famously said:
“People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”