Season: 1-1; Home Stand: 1-1
Wrap, Box, Herald-Sun
Another pleasant night at the ballpark. Enjoy it folks because there will be a couple of really ugly days before we get to the summer.
Far be it from me to wish a player ill—and it is very early in the season— but do I need to point out that the G’Braves Ernesto Mejia has an OPS of 2.270, 3 home runs, and 6 RBI in two games? Couldn’t he just take a day off? I know it’s early in the season, but maybe?
On the Bulls side, Kevin Kiermaier is off to a very hot start. Two games, two home runs, 4 RBI and several very nice plays out in center field. He just might be the best center fielder we’ve seen in a Durham Bulls uniform.
Otherwise, it was an early season game: Too many errors, too many pitches that got touched for hits.
We did get to see reliever Juan Carlos Oviedo, a Rays rehab project who has been on the Rays payroll for something like a year and a half. This was officially a rehab assignment and we are likely to be seeing a bit of him before the Rays make a decision on where he fits in their scheme of things.
Outside the game —
- I didn’t have anything negative to say about opening day because it was so clearly a work-in-progress. But Mike Birling, the Bulls GM has had plenty to say in an email that went out to everyone who bought a ticket. A classy apology on his part and an offer of a free ticket to any Monday-Thursday game for the rest of the year. But the offer is only on the table from April 7 to April 13.
- The new video and sound capabilities are very impressive. I’m expecting to see a lot of tweaks to the basic display, but I certainly appreciate the data that are out there. I didn’t notice the display up below where the press box used to be. That’s handy sometimes.
- I’ve got to wonder just how the radio guys are able to call pitches (location and type) from where they now sit. Terrific eyesight?
- Speaking of the radio, pleased to hear Scott Pose back on the air with Patrick Kinas. They make a pretty good team.
- About the turf: All I can say is that if you didn’t see it 10 days ago (I think I had a webcam shot of it) you have no idea how much progress has been made getting it in shape. We have it on good authority that all should be right for the next home stand.
- Patience, grasshopper.
- But we sure were looking forward to cup holders, those of us on the front row of the Terrace Reserved sections. Sigh. Maybe part of the next $20 million.
- Great to see the racers back and the Bulls are running a very clever introductory video with the racers on their way back from Spring Training. Choice of the South of the Border parking lot for some shots was inspired. Nuke still having trouble getting across the finish line.