Game 48 (7 Innings), May 29, Toledo, Ohio
Durham Bulls 7, Toledo Mud Hens 4
This was not the Bulls best road trip of the year. Nevertheless, after the tough four losses to Columbus, they did very well in Toledo. With a little more luck, they could have tied up the second game last night in the top of the 7th and who knows what might have happened after that? They come home still in first place.
Today's five o'clock game comes after a double-header last night and is against the best team in the league. A real test of the teams' stamina.
This home stand is the only opportunity for local fans of the Cleveland Indians (I think I've met at least one) and Boston Red Sox (two or three) to see their future stars. I'd think that's particularly true of the Indians who seem to have invested a lot of effort into their farm system over the last several years.
Meanwhile, the Bulls team that takes the field today is very different from the one that left town, with more changes coming. Recent roster changes include:
- Outfielder Justin Ruggiano called up to the Rays where he has been working very diligently his dugout sitting skills.
- Infielder Felix Lopez went back up to the Rays where he has similarly spent time on the bench (one game appearance).
- Reliever Rob Delaney came back from the Rays.
- Catcher Craig Albernaz was sent to Hudson Valley.
- Pitcher Jeremy Hall was sent to Hudson Valley
- Infielder Dan Johnson came down from Tampa Bay
- Pitcher Alex Cobb was called up to Tampa Bay
- Pitcher Jay Buente was claimed from the Marlins and sent to the Bulls. He pitched in last night's game and did pretty well.
The Montgomery Advertiser is reporting that Bulls pitcher Richard De Los Santos had shoulder surgery Friday and is out for the season. We wish him well. Maybe next year.