Rochester Red Wings: 3
Durham Bulls: 2
Season: 18-27; Home Stand: 1-4
Wrap, Box, Herald-Sun
Austin Pruitt pitched a terrific game. Too bad it dribbled away in the top of the 9th as the Bulls had yet another losing home stand. As noted in yesterday’s chart, the relief crew is a large part of the problem with this year’s Bulls.
J.P. Arencibia had his first game with the Bulls and looked fine. He even came through with an RBI single off the wall. His several visits to Neil Wagner in the 9th did not solve whatever the problem was.
Outside the game —
- The Rays have their own problems in the bullpen with the result that they are swapping Steve Geltz for the Bulls’ Tyler Sturdevant.
- We sure liked Geltz when he was with the Bulls in 2013 and 2014. He had stunning WHIPs of .881 and 1.056 in those seasons. He had a very good year with the Rays in 2015 and maybe their thinking is that he needs some time with the Bulls pitching coach to get back on track. Stats.
- This will be Sturdevant’s first trip to the big leagues. Good Luck!
- Pretty sure that the Rays will have to kick someone off their 40-man roster to make room for Sturdevant. No word that I’ve seen. The Bulls are short one player on their roster.
- Interesting thinkpiece on the Tampa Bay Rays by Time Bay Times writer Mark Topkin.