Superb defense made a very shaky 5 innings by James Houser look better than it was. A perfect strike from Jon Weber in left field to Craig Albernaz to tag out Jesus Feliciano in the 1st inning was bookended by a fine play by Chris Nowak at first base to close out the 9th inning. In between were a very nice running catch by Ruggiano in the 3rd, and double plays in the 4th and 5th. I’m impressed by our new crew at shortstop (Chaves) and second base (Mateo).
Of course, we got five runs batting around in the 5th and won yet another game without a home run. I like that we’re able to win games without the homer. Hate to depend on that.
- We got a new outfielder, Rashad Eldridge, up from Montgomery. He was 0-4, but got on base on an error and scored a run. He was started in right field, which is a tough place to play when the sun’s still up. He did OK out there.
- The wrap above says that Chris Mason is starting tomorrow. I don’t understand that. It was Mitch Talbot’s turn, so wonder if something is going on there. Guess we might find out tomorrow. Mason was relieving in Montgomery. We saw a lot of him last year. Here’s hoping a year’s more experience has made a difference.
- Reliever Dewon Day is officially on the DL.
- Chris Richard should be coming off the DL in a day or so.
- Alex Jamieson has disappeared from the roster again. Guess he’s back to “Hudson Valley”.